Copyright © 2019 Birth N Wellness Hub. All rights reserved
By Birth N Wellness Hub
On December 6, 2012, we found out we were pregnant again, expected our 4th blessing. We were extremely exited to become a family of 6 and we were planning another homebirth. Hoping to have our other children present this time.
The ending of my pregnancy became a bit difficult. I spent the last week of my fourth pregnancy stressed, worried and under pressure because of the worries of my husband being at work and not making it in time for the birth and most importantly the worries of not having anyone to assist with delivery since my traveling midwife/friend who was staying with us was home sick and wanted to get home. She was staying with us as a favor since she had just finished a birth nearby that she was called to and we had just let go of the local midwife we were seeing at 35 weeks pregnant because we were not seeing eye to eye on my birth plans. So here I was nearing the end of my pregnancy journey under so much stress and pressure.
My traveling midwife/friend started talking about getting things stared with callyphylum at about 39 weeks. That was not what I wanted so I made the decision to wait to baby was good and ready. Baby's estimated due date was August 12, 2013. That day came and went. The next day on August 13, I finally broke down and cried to my midwife about all the stress and pressure I was feeling from everyone's situation. After our conversation I made a decision to check if there was any progress with my cervix since I have been having contractions on and off for days. At that point I was only 1cm dilated. I left the house around 6pm with my husband and children to take a walk and get some air. While walking around the stores I started to feel more intense contractions. The contractions continued as we got home and my husband and I started cooking.
At 11pm I decided to be checked again and I was 5cm. Wow we were actually progressing here! We just knew for sure the baby would be born within a couple of hours. Much to our surprise a couple of hours passed and contractions were slowing down. I went to bed and woke up in the morning of August 14 with contractions very strong but still far apart. At around 11am on August 14 I was between 5-6cm. Not much progress after hours. At around 3pm I started on collyphylum to help things along since I was already in labor. Come to find out my baby was in a posterior position as I have been suspecting all along and this is what was stalling labor. I started to look up exercises to help baby turn anterior. I tried the knee chest position. Baby was not budging. After a conversation with my midwife I started to have a fear of transfer. This just came out of nowhere. I felt if I were transferred I would end up with a c-section for sure since the local hospital has a high c-section rate and does not do VBA2C. After that conversation with my midwife I went back into my room and started to crawl around on hands and knees to help baby turn. I was crying while doing this and my husband ask what was a matter. I told him if the baby does not turn I could end up transferred and will most likely end up with a c-section. He spoke to me with reassurance that all will be ok. I knew I had him by my side and that put me a bit at ease.
At around 7pm I was about a 6-7cm dilated. Progress was really slow. Now I see why there is not much point in checking woman's dilation because all it does is discourage. Its like waiting to take the train in the city and while waiting you popping your head out from the platform to see if it's coming, when that won't make it come any faster. In this case the baby will come when body and baby are ready. At about 9pm I went to take a warm shower. The shower felt great! It really helped bring on contractions more regularly but at the same time keeping them manageable. After my shower I went to lay down.
Around 10:30pm I felt a huge warm gush down my thighs. Now knowing my baby was posterior and I was having strong contractions with back labor I was not anticipating the membranes to rupture, as I knew it would bring on the pain a lot more. And that it did. I told my husband to get my midwife from the other room and let her know what happened. After looking at the slightly blood tinged water that was on a chux pad on my bed she said, it might be the membranes but wasn't sure. I just knew it was the membranes and the contractions would get more intense. And when the contraction came it was definitely more intense just has I suspected. I wasted no time in hopping back in the warm shower. All I could do was call upon the Lord at that point. I had a feeling to get on hands and knees in the shower (a birthing mamas instincts) but I second guessed myself and did not do it. Here I was a natural birth advocate second-guessing my instincts (after the birth I remembered that this could have possibly helped with baby's position). The shower then got cold so I had to come out.
I went back to my room at around 11:30pm and I was 10cm ready to push. I went to go on hands and knees again as I felt to do this. My midwife was a bit confused at what I was doing so I changed it (I didn't listen to my instincts again). During the time pushing my midwife felt I had a little too much blood coming down and after checking the baby's heart rate it seemed too low. So after 25hours of hard labor at home (total back labor ouch!!!) the decision was made to transfer. Turns out I was dehydrated and needed fluids right away. Once I got into the ambulance and got an IV and oxygen, baby's heart rate remained perfect.
As I rolled into the hospital I thought I was heading straight to the OR since this was a hospital with high C-section rates that did not do VBA2C, even though this was my second VBAC. To my surprise I was wheeled into a labor and delivery room. The midwife there looked at me and said, "are you ready to have a baby?” After my first push at the hospital the nurse that was also present in the room realized the baby was OP and strangely I did not have much blood coming down while pushing.
About an hour passed with intense pushing and pain when the nurse called for the Dr. to possibly assist with a vacuum. The Dr. Came in and said without checking "the baby is not low enough" even though the nurse and midwife clearly saw he was low. The Dr. Said we will go for a C-section. I would never forget the pail look on my husband's face as the Dr. Said those words. I felt at that moment that I was done and had no more fight in me but my husband and the nurse fought for me not to give and to keep pushing. I would never forget how my husband stood by my side. While the OR was being prepped my husband stood by my side in the labor room by ourselves telling me to push and guiding me as I was tired, weak and ready to give up. I told him I was so tired, thirsty and in so much pain. He looked at me and said, "I know but you know a c-section is not what you want". He encouraged me to keep pushing while they were setting up the OR and had me shaven etc. Every time the nurse came into the room She encouraged me to keep pushing as well. The nurse must have stalled for a good 2hrs setting up since no one was rushing to prep and take me to the OR.
I started to lose hope and think "I guess this is God's will for me because if he was going to do something he would have done it already". As I was thinking this, the nurse walked by and said, "this baby is going to be born, they are going to see a miracle". This made me keep hope and faith that God's word remains true and if he said to me before that he would never have another baby pulled out from my body again through surgery than I must keep my faith in knowing that he is true to his word. Through the renewed strength the Lord had given me I asked the nurse if she can bring the Dr. back in so he can see that the head is low and at least assist with the vacuum before taking me to the OR for a third c-section. After being encouraged to push again the nurse got the Dr. in again. Once the Dr. Came in and could see that the head was low he agreed to use the vacuum.
In the end I birthed my OP baby boy with about a 10second assistance of a vacuum. My baby boy was born in complete OP position after 29hrs of labor spending about 4hr pushing. My husband was my strength through our Lord and savior at a time I felt so weak. God really showed me through this birth how true he is to his word and it is never our timing but God’s perfect timing, even in difficult situations. I would like to encourage all women to have faith. Believe in your birthing abilities and listen to your instincts, for God has designed your body to know what to do at the right moments. Here is our latest addition straight from the oven! So in love yet again <3
Disclaimer: The information on this site is for educational purposes and is intended to motivate you to make your own informed choices based on your research, along with your partnership with your OB or Midwife. Please always talk to your care provider when making any decisions about your pregnancy and birth.