Copyright © 2019 Birth N Wellness Hub. All rights reserved
By Birth N Wellness Hub
Our journey started when our first baby, our wonderful son was born. He was due on the 9th of Dec of 2004. 2 days before his due date, after being checked vaginally by the Doctor on call, there was a slight dip in the heart rate but it quickly went back. Which I later found out that can happen. The Doctor Said I was staying to be induced. I without any thought or knowledge as to what this can possibly mean to my baby, and me I was excited to possibly being able to see my first beautiful baby. I had no idea that being on pitocin raise to the max would be against my baby and body. And I had no idea that this would cause many dips in my son’s heart rate. My body was not ready to release my son and the pain was so unbearable that after 5 hours on pit raised to the max I finally caved for the epidural. 16 minutes on epidural, my son’s heart rate went down again and I was wheeled off to deliver by C-section. It took between 5-8 hrs after surgery for them to hand me my beautiful first-born baby. But when I saw him I finally knew what love is all about.
Almost 3 years later on July 26, 2007 my first daughter was born. They were not happy with my decision to try for a VBAC (Vaginal Birth After C-section). I didn’t do much research on the subject either. So I had no idea what I was up against. She was due on July 29, 2007. On July 26, 2007 I was told by the ultrasound tech that my water was low and I had to go to the hospital. I went to the hospital crying, knowing this would mean they would try to induce and possibly end up with another C-section. I was already feeling contractions, so I knew I would be in full labor shortly, but once again I went into the hospital and confined myself to the bed. When at the hospital the doctor on call tried to convince me out of a VBAC, using the death scare tactic. Shortly after the placement of a balloon catheter her membranes ruptured and there were dips in her heart rate. I was told they couldn’t find a heart rate so I agreed to another c-section fearing the worse had happened to her. I went in crying and shaking of fear and love for my baby. Only to find out later that she did have a heart beat and I was lied to. I got to hold her about an hour or less after birth. She was beautiful and I fell in love once again.
About 2 1/2 years later I decided to gather my records of my births as DH and I were thinking of the possibilities of another precious blessing from God. After viewing my records I came to realize how unnecessary my children's surgery births were.
On Feb. 29, 2010 we found out we were expecting our 3rd precious gift from God. I made a decision that next time I will no longer trust in man but trust in God and my bodies natural ability to birth. We truly felt God's guidance through the process of finding the best provider for this birth.
This time we felt staying home would be best. After much research on hospitals, searching for a provider, phone calls and even an interview with a midwife and one on the phone interview with a traveling midwife, we chose a HB with a traveling midwife, which I knew nothing about until joining the ICAN yahoo group. It just felt right, unlike all the other people or places I checked up on. We chose what brought us peace in our journey to birth our daughter naturally, we chose to birth at home with our very patient and knowledgeable midwife.
Although we had plans to have our DD2 at home we still had to seek prenatal care until our midwife’s arrival. It was a hard thing for me to do as I was seeking prenatal care at the hospital that gave me my first scar. I felt uncomfortable there. I felt annoyed after every appointment. The midwife I saw there seemed supportive and happy for me to be going for a VBA2C but the Dr.'s and the atmosphere just did not seem on board or happy with that. With the advices from my traveling midwife and the wonderful women on ICAN yahoo group, and HBAC group, I made the decision to stop care there at 33 weeks pregnant and do self-care while we wait for the midwife’s arrival in about 3-4 weeks. I had my own records that I kept for the pregnancy. I checked my Bp every week; kick counts daily and charted any unusual pain or feelings.
On October 18th my midwife arrived. It was wonderful to finally have her here, which put me at ease. At about 38-39 weeks Braxton hicks were getting stronger. At the end of 39 weeks bh contractions seemed to be 10min apart, confusing me as if they were the real deal, but they would then diminished. This went on for about a week past my edd (Nov.3). Around November 8th contractions seemed stronger and were coming 10, 7, 6 min apart at night, but they would once again grow further apart throughout the day. I had little to no sleep Nov. 8, 9 and 10th due to contractions. By Nov. 11th contractions seemed to be more intense and getting closer together. At that point I was frustrated, saw no point in timing them and just felt exhausted from lack of sleep. I was already in tears feeling that my hopes for VBAC were diminishing with these weird patterns. Not to mention I wasn't even 2cm dilated at this point but at least I was almost 100% effaced. While speaking to my midwife she assure me that I can do this. She said that she wont give up on me and asked that I don't give up as well. I so needed to hear that at that point. She was worried however about my lack of sleep. On Nov. 11th we made a decision to take caulophyllum 30 after I came back from a walk with my husband. Caulophyllum 30 would either stop these annoying contractions if it is not time so I can get some rest or get things going if my body is truly trying to get into labor.
After the walk Contractions picked up once again with intensity but still did not seem like they were getting too close together. At around 3pm I took the caulophyllum 30 and felt as if my contractions were diminishing and I fell asleep. Sleep only lasted for about 1/2 to almost an hr until I was once again awoken by a contraction. I walked around the house just trying to get through them. Since I saw no point in timing, I had not realized how close together they had gotten. I had hubby rubbing by my tailbone really hard with his fist. At around 6:30pm my mother came over to take over the massaging, while DH helped DS with his HW. After about an hour my Mom left with DS and DD1. They have been staying with her for the last couple of days incase I was going into labor. Good thing she lived right next door :)
At about 7:30-8pm I was in my room with DH in tears. I was exhausted and frustrated. I was telling him how tired I was of these pains if it is not doing anything and I am not in labor. At that point my midwife walked in and offered to check me. I felt like what was the point I am almost 9days overdue and I am probably still not even 2cm dilated. My exhaustion and frustration was surely kicking in at that point. After examining me, She said I was 4cm dilated and 100% effaced. I thought to myself, wow I have never dilated to a 4 with any of my kids yet alone be 100% effaced. This is possible and I can do this.
My husband and I then went for another walk. I felt walking helped greatly with each contraction. We got back to the house around 9-9:30pm. I continued to walk around the house as it helped me to cope with the pains better. At around 10pm I tried to get some rest. I must have gotten about 1/2 hr of sleep when contraction became a little more stronger. I was checked again and was about 8cm dilated by 12am on Nov. 12th. She noticed how I was trying to fight through the pains making it a lot worse rather than working with each contraction. She told me I needed to breath with them and not tense up. I then started to breath in and out with each contraction. It felt much better that way. The coolest thing was how I was in transition stage with little time in between still eating pineapples in between contractions and drinking water. It really helped with my energy. I was also able to stand and work with my body through breathing with each contraction. This is something I know I would have not been able to do at the hospital.
At around 5:50am I was 10cm dilated, Yay!! Just have to wait for the pushing urge. I told my poor nervous hubby to get my mom next door and to get the bucket she had for us to catch the placenta. He was so nervous he came back with no mom and no bucket. I asked him again and this time he came back with the bucket but no mom lol... He was exited and nervous he could not hear fully what I was asking. At around 6:20 I felt an urge to push. Was lying sideways in an imitated squatting position. My mom and DH were right by my side.
With the first push or two my midwife can see the head and told me how she seems to have a lot of hair. I don't remember if it was then or in an earlier exam when She asked when did I lose my water bag? I stood shocked as we all did and had no idea when my membranes ruptured. We suspected it was earlier on Nov. 11th. When I felt something come down but there was not much and took it as being bloody show, as I was having bloody show for 3-4 days already. So when the membranes rupture there was probably not much water and it came down with the show.
After about an hour of pushing and being in different pushing position my midwife realized something was keeping the baby from coming down. She noticed the baby's head seemed to be cocked a little. So she adjusted it.
20min and a couple of decels the head was still not coming down. She explained we need to get this baby out now or we can transfer. I thought to myself, "transfer, there is no way... I didn't make it this far to be under hospital care once again" and I just felt and believed my baby was fine and this time I was going to listen to my instincts. I looked at her and she looked at me and I remembered our not giving up talk and felt we are ok, God is with us and we are going to do this and be ok.
I began to push like I never thought I can push before and the urges just kept flowing. No more fears or stalling my baby was going to come out. I heard and felt prayers around me as I began to pray to myself as well. My daughter’s head started to emerge. I remember thinking, "how big is this head?” I was told to look down but I was afraid to see how big the head was lol...and thought it would scare me from pushing. I then hear my midwife say, "So this is what the problem was" and she pulled up my baby's little hand along the side of her face. I did peek a little and saw my baby's head sticking out. Then shoulders came out. My DH was able to grab our baby under her arms and I grabbed her by the waist while we brought her up together on to my abdomen. She barely could reach my chest because her cord was too short.
She's here... I couldn't believe that she was finally here and that I labored and gave birth to her naturally. My baby was 9 days over due, had a couple of decels, slightly cocked head, hand on face, short cord and I was pushing for almost 2hrs after it seemed like she was going to be out within the first hour and I was able to birth her naturally at home. This just shows that birth does work when fear is not in the mix of the process. She was perfectly healthy, weighing 6lb 8oz, and 20in long.
I am truly grateful for my midwife’s faith and patience in birth, in my family's support, especially DH, and for God's guidance through this whole process.
From the bottom of my heart, I hope and pray that my story helps and empowers other women to believe in themselves and their natural birthing abilities. Our bodies are amazingly made and are meant for amazing things.
“While man said I can’t, God said I can, so I did”
Much Love and Blessings,
Disclaimer: The information on this site is for educational purposes and is intended to motivate you to make your own informed choices based on your research, along with your partnership with your OB or Midwife. Please always talk to your care provider when making any decisions about your pregnancy and birth.